• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Beautiful. 

At least we agree on fuck the Habs 

4 out of the top 10 teams in the league are Canadian teams. BuT tHe CaNaDiAn DiVisIon wAs tHe W0rsT hoCkey DiviSioN eVer!!      *This is no excuse for the Leafs performance last ye

5 hours ago, Doc J said:

ISITZEN — moving the goalposts

I've never seen goal posts move like that!  Well done, lads!

Of course, no one was "blaming bettman for the leafs failures", or anything remotely close to that, but still..

I did, however point out how utterly ridiculous it was for actual hockey fans to champion his deeds, and support his inclusion into any hall of fame.  Which, you clearly did, and presumably still do, somehow. 

I'm also obligated to point out that as recently as the previous offseason, Logan once again lined up on team rodent when he threatened to break the collectively bargained agreement to deal with the pandemic (a deal only a few months old), and stop/postpone the season cause the owners wanted more money, again.   How'd that not work?

Raiden gives credit to Bettman for bringing hockey to WPG.   -lolz-

When what he did was shutter the team, move it to PHX, and then give Winnipeg the leftovers of the Atlanta Thrashers when that franchise folded (all of the above being terrific examples of the numerous failed franchises since '93).  

I don't blame either for you for not wanting to own your actual position, as it's clearly not worth owning. 

Changing the subject was the right move, if entirely predictable. 

Maybe no one else noticed.  

I can’t really speak to why winnipeg lost their team, nor do I know the story behind why quebec did. 

I assume they weren’t profitable, in which case I wouldn’t have a problem with their departure, but I think I was pretty young when they left so I didn’t follow the business side of hockey then. 

6 minutes ago, PIPERSMAN63 said:

If it wasn't for Bettman the Leafs would have won the Cup at least 3 times and been to the finals another 5.

Right!

Now, who's the asshole who said that?

And while we're at it, fuck the guy who said we need to re-hire Peter Horachek.  Fuck him.  

Edited by Doc J
9 minutes ago, Dog Taker said:

I can’t really speak to why winnipeg lost their team, nor do I know the story behind why quebec did. 

I assume they weren’t profitable, in which case I wouldn’t have a problem with their departure, but I think I was pretty young when they left so I didn’t follow the business side of hockey then. 

Financial problems and an aging arena in a small market killed them, if anything.

5 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

Financial problems and an aging arena in a small market killed them, if anything.

If I recall correctly, the Canadian dollar was weak at the time too. There was no salary cap as well. Edmonton was a last minute save by a group of local of investors away from moving too.

I’m not a big Bettman fan. Personally, I think the guy comes across as an arrogant twat, but the salary cap, which came in under his watch, could have potentially saved the Winnipeg and Quebec franchises at that time.

10 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

if that's true, i'm just not sure how I'm supposed to blame bettman for that?  I wish doc j who maligns these moves so much would make the case for that to me, but he refused before to make the argument and I guess he is again?   Like i'm open to hearing about how he might be to blame, but...  it just has never come. 

13 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

Clearly, the answer was Arizona.. .... ..

But hey! 

At least he doubled down on a failed market in Atlanta, all to eventually bring hockey back to Winnipeg!

Wile E. Coyote's Horrifying Secret: A Fan Theory | Cracked.com

Edited by Doc J
9 minutes ago, canadaguy said:

If I recall correctly, the Canadian dollar was weak at the time too. There was no salary cap as well. Edmonton was a last minute save by a group of local of investors away from moving too.

I’m not a big Bettman fan. Personally, I think the guy comes across as an arrogant twat, but the salary cap, which came in under his watch, could have potentially saved the Winnipeg and Quebec franchises at that time.

Small markets, shitty arenas, and a declining Canadian dollar. I don't like Bettman either, but he didn't have much of a choice imo.

Now if he could abolish the salary cap... that would be nice. It's not just me saying that as a Leafs fan, when about a third of the league is using LTIR relief to stay under the salary cap.

6 minutes ago, Doc J said:

Clearly, the answer was Arizona.. .... ..

Bettman was intent on growing hockey in the south throughout the 90's and Phoenix is one of only 13 US metropolitan areas to have representatives of all four major professional sports leagues. At the time, why not?

25 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

Small markets, shitty arenas, and a declining Canadian dollar. I don't like Bettman either, but he didn't have much of a choice imo.

Now if he could abolish the salary cap... that would be nice. It's not just me saying that as a Leafs fan, when about a third of the league is using LTIR relief to stay under the salary cap.

Bettman was intent on growing hockey in the south throughout the 90's and Phoenix is one of only 13 US metropolitan areas to have representatives of all four major professional sports leagues. At the time, why not?

As a Leafs’ fan, I’m fine with abolishing the cap, as a hockey fan, I’m not sure.

There are things that I like about it and things that I don’t. It does seem that the way they’ve set the cap up in the NHL leads to loopholes. You never really hear that problem in the NFL.

Also, I don’t think you can completely blame the cap for the situation now. The pandemic and the GMs’ own greed/lack of awareness play a big part as well.

Maybe the cap needs tweaking, but I wouldn’t be ready to scrap it just yet.

32 minutes ago, Morrison7 said:

I think we've seen 2 decades of why not.  

It's utterly disheartening to me to see this clown even afforded shitty excuses like "didn't have much of a choice", from actual hockey fans.  With such a wake of canceled games, playoffs, seasons, folded teams, ownership scandals, etc, what has he done to solicit even the most passive defense?

And I feel I must point out the initial post in this series, that absolutely no one seems to want to address, that being that MLS has taken the NHL's place as the 4th major sport in the US.  Guess he couldn't help it, right?   

Edited by Doc J
2 hours ago, canadaguy said:

As a Leafs’ fan, I’m fine with abolishing the cap, as a hockey fan, I’m not sure.

There are things that I like about it and things that I don’t. It does seem that the way they’ve set the cap up in the NHL leads to loopholes. You never really hear that problem in the NFL.

Also, I don’t think you can completely blame the cap for the situation now. The pandemic and the GMs’ own greed/lack of awareness play a big part as well.

Maybe the cap needs tweaking, but I wouldn’t be ready to scrap it just yet.

I would in theory be fine with getting rid of the cap if it would help us win.

unfortunately we have 35 years of no cap and no cup. 

4 hours ago, Doc J said:

Right!

Now, who's the asshole who said that?

And while we're at it, fuck the guy who said we need to re-hire Peter Horachek.  Fuck him.  

Dude you need to settle down a bit. I am sure most people here don't like Bettman. Myself included.

12 hours ago, Doc J said:

I think we've seen 2 decades of why not.  

It's utterly disheartening to me to see this clown even afforded shitty excuses like "didn't have much of a choice", from actual hockey fans.  With such a wake of canceled games, playoffs, seasons, folded teams, ownership scandals, etc, what has he done to solicit even the most passive defense?

And I feel I must point out the initial post in this series, that absolutely no one seems to want to address, that being that MLS has taken the NHL's place as the 4th major sport in the US.  Guess he couldn't help it, right?   

I think it was just inevitable that soccer made its way into NA's top sports. It's just too popular world wide.

With the demographic shift in NA in the last 50 yrs, it just makes sense that it's popularity would grow proportionally.

I'm not sure you can lay that at Buttman's feet.

He was hired to grow the game in the US and make the owners money.

He's done that.

But ya, he's a twat wad in my books.

18 hours ago, Dog Taker said:

if that's true, i'm just not sure how I'm supposed to blame bettman for that?  I wish doc j who maligns these moves so much would make the case for that to me, but he refused before to make the argument and I guess he is again?   Like i'm open to hearing about how he might be to blame, but...  it just has never come. 

Everything that’s wrong with the game has been in some way due to Bettman.  The watered down league creating “over” parity.  You can watch three different games in one night for example and they all look the same. Put everyone in a the same coloured jersey and you wouldn’t be able to differentiate one team from the next in any given game. The ridiculous randomness of the shoot out makes that even worse. Statistically a shootout ends up in random result. Might as well roll two die to see who gains the extra point.  In Bettman’s NHL,  The league essentially has too much parity over-expansion has created worse teams and made better teams worse.  

multiple lockouts. The league has never been locked out before Bettman’s tenure.  He’s had two. One of which saw no Cup winner awarded.  

The mandate for the addition of a two referee system which now just gets everything wrong all the fucking time but hey parity!

I’m not even going to touch on Phoenix, and Atlanta and his games of re-locating. That’s some low hanging fruit.

Yes, revenues have increased and fill the ownership pockets under his watch. Mind you I have thoughts that the increases are just as much due to inflation as they have Bettman’s as revenues haven’t increased nearly as quickly as the other major sports but that’s a mathematical study i don’t have time for.

From a popularity perspective, the NHL has never been more popular than it was after the Rangers Cup win in 94. Bettman was hired in ‘93. It’s safe to say his reign of terror began showing it’s shortcomings tge season immediately following 1994.

The Red Wings, the most successful modern era franchise, can’t give tickets away. What was once a die hard fan base has now been essentially abandoned in favour of the Phoenixes of the sport. That really sums up Bettman’s impact on fans of the game.