New-wave athletes compared to older gen athletes

So I read Zadorov's comments on Nathan Mackinnon and how... dedicated he is to the game, the team and himself. This guy is full-on committed, perhaps a bit too much, to diet, training, and getting better. 

And I think how many top athletes nowadays are similar. Top-of-the-line food, counting each macro to the last gram, training so perfected and backed by science, equipment, additional physio/massage treatments, etc. etc. just to stay on top and be the best.

Yet, just 20-30 years ago, some of the top athletes would literally drink, smoke, snort, whatever prior to games and STILL dominate. They'd have a bender the night before and show up and play and still make others look silly. 

I guess this is more sports-wide rather than NHL related but it's an interesting conversation. 

I mean, you have a guy like Phil Kessel who probably ain't your model athlete and he isn't top 10 NHL material but he's still had some great all-star like seasons. However, I don't think that's the norm anymore. I'd wager that the majority of top 10-20 athletes are on Nate's level. But it doesn't seem like that was the case a few decades ago. I could be wrong, though.

Thoughts? 

1 hour ago, §andman said:

So I read Zadorov's comments on Nathan Mackinnon and how... dedicated he is to the game, the team and himself. This guy is full-on committed, perhaps a bit too much, to diet, training, and getting better. 

And I think how many top athletes nowadays are similar. Top-of-the-line food, counting each macro to the last gram, training so perfected and backed by science, equipment, additional physio/massage treatments, etc. etc. just to stay on top and be the best.

Yet, just 20-30 years ago, some of the top athletes would literally drink, smoke, snort, whatever prior to games and STILL dominate. They'd have a bender the night before and show up and play and still make others look silly. 

I guess this is more sports-wide rather than NHL related but it's an interesting conversation. 

I mean, you have a guy like Phil Kessel who probably ain't your model athlete and he isn't top 10 NHL material but he's still had some great all-star like seasons. However, I don't think that's the norm anymore. I'd wager that the majority of top 10-20 athletes are on Nate's level. But it doesn't seem like that was the case a few decades ago. I could be wrong, though.

Thoughts? 

First of all, they're all still snorting 'whatever'.   I'm not aware of any calories in blow.  

Secondly, the level of competition has risen dramatically.  Yes, there are the Kessel's who just have that talent and can get by and excel without putting in that extra effort, but those are the exceptions among the top players.  Players from the 90s, largely, couldn't keep up physically in today's game if we had access to time machines.  Even the greats would have to be sheltered tremendously in their deployment to avoid them becoming a liability in today's game.  Mind you they had their own challenges, like dealing with a far more violent and dirty game, so I guess it all depends how you evaluate worth in a player. 

But this was inevitable with the advent of the internet and widespread access to knowledge on health.  My parents generation honestly do not understand what healthy eating actually is.  They are easily fooled by food marketing, and they think they're eating healthy when what they're eating is barely above mcdonalds & wendys.  

I can honestly say, despite me not being where I want to be physically, I'm in far better shape than the majority of the nhl from the early 90s, and I'm sure many of them thought they were in good shape comparatively to the rest of society.  Well, society has progressed. Open up tik tok and every kid is jacked now.  Every girl is obsessed with fitness.  Mario ain't it anymore.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if mario were healthier today than he was when he was playing lol.

Edited by Dog Taker

Sandman you're 100% correct here, and it starts really young. Just from personal experience, I didn't really get "good" (I use that word very loosely) at hockey until I was 16 and tagged along to a USHL tryout with a buddy. I basically went because they were short on goalies for the weekend, and my buddy (a forward) was the one being looked at. I played way better than I really should have and started taking hockey more seriously after that. But up until I was 15/16 my summers were mostly dedicated to baseball and farming, I'd do the odd hockey camp for a week or two but that was it. 

Now the guys I'd see at these team training camps/tryouts lived hockey 24/7, at least the good ones did. Rarely played other sports, were on the ice twice a day and working out every day all summer. I remember being at an NAHL skate in St. Louis with a bunch of guys who fit that description, they grew up playing with the Tkachuk's in the Jr. Blues AAA system. As far as I know the only one from that group that made it anywhere was Woll, and yet all of them trained and lived like they were going to the NHL. 

That's how dedicated guys were who still didn't even make it. Kids are groomed starting sometimes even younger than 10, its crazy and probably not healthy. Theres a reason we're seeing so many guys coming from NHL bloodlines being drafted now too. These guys have the name recognition, and have been training for it since they were old enough to walk. 

You'll still sometimes get guys like Kessel who are just naturally gifted physical freaks, or Matthews who started down that path at a later age than most future NHLers. But when you look at the draft, most of those guys coming out of the UNTDP and CHL have been training for it basically their whole lives. 

As with everything in this world, the answer is money.

Once pro sports, hockey included, became a ticket to generational wealth, it became a full time business, unsurprisingly.  

From trainers, to coaches, to parents, they all stand to profit, and are trying to maximize that profit.  

It is nice to make what most normal people never see in their lifetime by the age of 40 and you can retire.  For example Matthews will at least make over 100M by the time he is 30.  The most i have ever seen in my household at any given time was 12K.

Edited by Anger Management
Sorry 100M not 100K
57 minutes ago, Anger Management said:

It is nice to make what most normal people never see in their lifetime by the age of 40 and you can retire.  For example Matthews will at least make over 100K by the time he is 30.  The most i have ever seen in my household at any given time was 12K.

Uhhh... Matthews is going to make 100K before the end of the first game of this upcoming season. 

He gets paid approximately 140,000 per game. 

8 hours ago, Duffman said:

Now the guys I'd see at these team training camps/tryouts lived hockey 24/7, at least the good ones did. Rarely played other sports, were on the ice twice a day and working out every day all summer. I remember being at an NAHL skate in St. Louis with a bunch of guys who fit that description, they grew up playing with the Tkachuk's in the Jr. Blues AAA system. As far as I know the only one from that group that made it anywhere was Woll, and yet all of them trained and lived like they were going to the NHL. 

Imagine being one of those guys who end up spending their entire lives being told to do nothing but hockey, hockey, hockey and the furthest you get is the ECHL? Then you see guys who probably party a couple times of week, eat like shit, go off and play basketball, and jump rank up to the NHL before you? How demoralizing that must be? And yet it probably happens with more than half of these guys. 

I never thought about that, but those guys that dedicated their lives and just never made it... you basically gotta restart your life at 30, or whenever you quit, and make a living that is outside of what you dreamed for the past 20-30 years.

7 hours ago, Doc J said:

As with everything in this world, the answer is money.

Once pro sports, hockey included, became a ticket to generational wealth, it became a full time business, unsurprisingly.  

From trainers, to coaches, to parents, they all stand to profit, and are trying to maximize that profit.  

Strong point. The $$ incentive just wasn't there (yet) 20-30 years ago. 

Shit, you could train your kid to be a ref and I'm sure those top of the line refs (in any sport) are making what a doctor makes here in Canada. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, n0nsense said:

I read that twice. I assume he meant 100M

I figured but you never know with the guy.

Regardless, neat little tidbit that Auston Matthews, in 1 game, makes more than... 80% of Canadians? Or 90%. 

Edited by §andman
5 hours ago, §andman said:

Uhhh... Matthews is going to make 100K before the end of the first game of this upcoming season. 

He gets paid approximately 140,000 per game. 

uhhh so will he or will he not make 100k by the time he’s 30???!!?  huh smart guy!

AM’s right and you’re big time JEALOUS of his math skills!!!  

5 hours ago, §andman said:

Imagine being one of those guys who end up spending their entire lives being told to do nothing but hockey, hockey, hockey and the furthest you get is the ECHL? Then you see guys who probably party a couple times of week, eat like shit, go off and play basketball, and jump rank up to the NHL before you? How demoralizing that must be? And yet it probably happens with more than half of these guys. 

I never thought about that, but those guys that dedicated their lives and just never made it... you basically gotta restart your life at 30, or whenever you quit, and make a living that is outside of what you dreamed for the past 20-30 years.

Strong point. The $$ incentive just wasn't there (yet) 20-30 years ago. 

Shit, you could train your kid to be a ref and I'm sure those top of the line refs (in any sport) are making what a doctor makes here in Canada. 

meh.  those guys usually come from decent backgrounds to be able to pursuit hockey to that point, most will be fine.  

winnipeg is filled with racists & murderers, has an average winter temperature of -40, its main attraction is a canadian tire on the edge of town with meth heads in the parking lot that my family had the misfortune of stopping at when I was a child on a road trip to alberta because we blew a tire, and every guy ive met from that terrible place has been a terrible person, presumably because they grew up in winnipeg.  

fuck that city and its team.

16 minutes ago, Dog Taker said:

winnipeg is filled with racists & murderers, has an average winter temperature of -40, its main attraction is a canadian tire on the edge of town with meth heads in the parking lot that my family had the misfortune of stopping at when I was a child on a road trip to alberta because we blew a tire, and every guy ive met from that terrible place has been a terrible person, presumably because they grew up in winnipeg.  

Sounds similar to Alberta. Like i have said before i lived there for 3 months it felt like 3 years.

1 hour ago, Raiden said:

Fuck Winnipeg 

They're just the Thrashers at heart. Even then, I found the Thrashers to be more likeable than these fucks.

38 minutes ago, Dog Taker said:

I bet those fuckers don't even have an airport. Pfffft.

1 hour ago, Dog Taker said:

I thought we were buds, too 😔